Direct Support Professional: Art Studio
- Location: Adult Life Skills Center in Hutchinson, KS (See Details)
- Type: Full Time Positions Available (See Details)
Under the general supervision of the Manager of ALS, the Art Studio DSP assists individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities conceptualize, generate, and develop artistic ideas and work for both personal enjoyment and/or sale in TECH’s Art Gallery. The Art DSP must have the capacity to teach participants of varied levels/skills, within TECH’s Art Program, step-by-step painting techniques and the ability to critique and assist in fine-tuning products that will be placed in the Gallery. This position requires flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to assist several individuals at the same time. This position is a non-exempt/hourly position.
Duties include, but are not limited to, direct care of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Direct care can include intimate tasks such as feeding, restrooming, and medication administration. Additionally, the Art Studio DSP will be responsibilities for collaborating with other staff and the monitoring and techniques taught to the participants of TECH’s art program. Such duties include, but aren’t limited to:
- Provide instruction by which clients develop skills in art, aesthetic concepts and the ability to make changes to their creative products
- Ability to demonstrate techniques in activities such as drawing and painting
- Demonstrate the versatility of acrylic paints: dry brushing, color washes, layers, underpainting, etc.
- Demonstrate and apply elements of design and modern principles of art
- Demonstrate the fundamentals and different approaches to various types of art medium
- Provides instruction to individuals and/or groups of people
- Ability to adapt the overall “project” to the needs of clients with varying intellectual and artistic abilities
- Ability to accommodate and foster learning on a variety of activities at the same time
- Assist in the planning and presentation of art displays and exhibitions as needed
- Prepare client paintings for display
- Ability to co-facilitate and teach with other professional while maintaining positive public relations
Education: High school diploma/GED or equivalent required.
Experience: Preferred one year of experience in the intellectual and/or developmental disabilities IDD) filed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge and skills in art, including drawing, painting and technique work required.
Ability to instruct a skill or activity required.
Licenses: Must have a valid and current Kansas Driver’s License
Physical Demands: Medium Work. occasionally must life and/or move 20-50 pounds.
A portfolio is required for top applicants who schedule an interview.
Hourly Starting Wage: $14.45/Hour
To apply for now or future consideration, complete an application online or obtain a paper application at the Wiley Building at 10 East 1st Avenue, Hutchinson, KS 67501.