Getting Started

Start Living Life to the Fullest

Everyone deserves the chance to reach their full potential.  Once we receive an initial phone call from a person searching out services for their loved one, we strive to help you walk through the system in a comfortable and confident way.  The process of obtaining services through state funding can be overwhelming. That is why we are here from beginning to end. Our 45 years of experience can help you every step along the way.

You can customize your services by choosing from part-time and full-time programs. Offerings include:

  • Residential Services
  • Employment Opportunities
  • Service Coordination
  • Children and Family Services
  • Adult Life Skills
  • TECHnology Lab
  • TECH Art Program

The I/DD system is a complicated one and can be difficult to maneuver on your own.  Families served by TECH find comfort in having a team of staff with a combined 100 plus years of experience behind them through the process. TECH is very established in the community and grew right here in Reno County.

Take the first step today by learning more about TECH's quality services and programs. Through our adult and children services, TECH is dedicated to creating a future with endless possibilities. Call us today at 620.663.1596 for more information!

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do you enter the I/DD service sector?

    1. Contact TECH’s Service Coordination Department to get started. They will take you to the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) to complete an application process.
      • Eligibility is typically the first step (see “Eligibility Criteria” section)
      • Services can be provided from birth to death
      • Referrals can come from anywhere (school, doctor, parent, guardian, etc.)
    2. Once eligible, the individual will choose a Service Coordinator who will help them navigate the complex system. Service Coordinators will:
      • Assist with Medicaid qualifications
      • Navigate other resources such as Social Security and HUD
      • Broker community service offerings to best suit the needs of the individual
      • Help with HCBS waiver access
    3. The Service Coordinators will also help connect the individual with access to the HCBS Waiver. There is typically a waiting list for this waiver, and the application will undergo a rigorous review before being accepted. The Service Coordinator will be able to help the individuals answer any questions about the process. Special Notes for Children:
      • A child’s eligibility to receive services is not dependent on income or Social Security eligibility.
      • Social Security is not required until the individual’s 19th birthday.
      • For children who receive Medicaid Waiver services, only the income and assets of the child are considered in determining Medicaid eligibility.
      • Currently, there is a multi-year waiting list for adult services. The earlier they get on, the better.

  • Eligibility Criteria for Developmental Disability

    Mental Retardation means substantial limitation in functioning manifested during the time from birth to age 18. This is characterized by significantly below average intellectual functioning and deficits in adaptive behavior. Mental Retardation includes limitations in two or more of the following adaptive skill areas:

    • Communication
    • Self-care
    • Home Living
    • Social Skills
    • Community Use
    • Self-direction
    • Health and safety
    • Functional academics
    • Leisure
    • Work

    Developmental Disability is a condition that includes autism, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, and other physical and mental impairments. These conditions can result in severe chronic limitations such as:

    • Self-care
    • Learning and adapting
    • Living independently
    • Understanding and using language
    • Mobility
    • Economic self-sufficiency
    • Self-direction in setting and accomplishing goals

    This does not include individuals who are solely emotionally disturbed or have mental illness. This also does not include those who have disabilities exclusively as a result of aging.

    Developmental disabilities in children under the age six are defined as a severe chronic disability which:

    • Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of mental and physical impairments.
    • Results in at least three developmental delays as measured by qualified professionals.
    • Reflects a need for a combination and sequence of special, interdisciplinary or generic care throughout their lifetime.


  • How do I move my family member into residential services?

    TECH will provide all the necessary information and steps to move a family member into residential services through the support and guidance of the person’s Service Coordinator.  The Service Coordinator walks alongside a person served, and their family, so the transitions into services can be seamless.

  • What services are funded by Medicaid?

    There are many services covered by Medicaid.  The Medicaid services that fund services provided by organizations like TECH are called Home and Community Based Services – Intellectual/Developmental Disability Waiver.

  • How long can my child with disabilities remain in the school system?

    A student with an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) stating so can remain in school until the age of 22.

  • What is available to my child with disabilities after graduation?

    There are many choices available after graduation: employment, community activities, recreation activities, technology activities, living outside the family home, as well as living inside of the family home.

  • If something were to happen to me, what happens with my child?

    TECH has been serving people with disabilities since 1973.  If a parent or family member is no longer a part of the person’s life, TECH will step in, and with other community resources that might be needed, be certain all needs that the person served has had will continue.

Additional Resources