image description

Service Coordination

Services for People With Disabilities

Expertly Assisting Families

The Intellectual/Developmental Disability (I/DD) system is a complicated one and can be difficult to maneuver on your own. Families served by TECH find comfort in having an experienced team of staff behind them through the process. TECH has been in Hutchinson and Reno County, Kansas, since 1973 and has grown to meet the needs of our community over the years.

Contact Us About Service Coordination

How We Can Help

Service Coordinators assist individuals and families in determining specific needs, creating personalized plans of service and connecting you to available support services. TECH’s Service Coordinators facilitate an array of services to help individuals and their families cope and navigate complicated service systems in the most effective way.

What to Expect

The Service Coordinator, through Person Centered Services (PCS), will help identify personal goals, needs and resources.

  • After your initial meeting, the Service Coordinator will help formulate a plan that will set the individual up for success in achieving goals.
  • Service Coordinators continue to be ongoing advocates on the individual’s behalf as different needs arise, connecting you to resources in the community.
  • They communicate with you often and are continually evaluating whether or not the Person Centered Support Plan is effectively meeting your set goals and help to determine if a change of course is needed.

Helpful Resources


Reno County CDDO

Visit Website

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you enter the intellectual and developmental disability (I/DD) sector?
  1. Contact TECH’s Service Coordination Department to get started. We will take you to the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) to complete an application process starting with eligibility. Referrals can come from anywhere (school, doctor, parent, guardian, etc.), and services can be provided from birth to death.
  2. Once eligible, the individual will choose a Service Coordinator who will help them navigate the complex system. Service Coordinators will assist with Medicaid qualifications, navigate other resources such as Social Security and HUD, broker community service offerings to best suit the needs of the individual and help with HCBS waiver access.
  3. The Service Coordinators will also help connect the individual with access to the HCBS Waiver. There is typically a waiting list for this waiver, and the application will undergo a rigorous review before being accepted. The Service Coordinator will be able to help the individuals answer any questions about the process.
    Special notes for children: A child’s eligibility to receive services is not dependent on income or Social Security eligibility; Social Security is not required until the individual’s 19th birthday; For children who receive Medicaid Waiver services, only the income and assets of the child are considered in determining Medicaid eligibility; Currently, there is a multi-year waiting list for adult services. The earlier they get on, the better.
What are the eligibility criteria for developmental disability?

“Mental retardation” means substantial limitation in functioning manifested during the time from birth to age 18. This is characterized by significantly below average intellectual functioning and deficits in adaptive behavior. Mental retardation includes limitations in two or more of the following adaptive skill areas:

  • Communication
  • Self-care
  • Home living
  • Social skills
  • Community use
  • Self-direction
  • Health and safety
  • Functional academics
  • Leisure
  • Work

“Developmental disability” is a condition that includes autism, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and other physical and mental impairments. These conditions can result in severe chronic limitations such as:

  • Self-care
  • Learning and adapting
  • Living independently
  • Understanding and using language
  • Mobility
  • Economic self-sufficiency
  • Self-direction in setting and accomplishing goals

This does not include individuals who are solely emotionally disturbed or have mental illness. This also does not include those who have disabilities exclusively as a result of aging.

Developmental disabilities in children under the age of six are defined as a severe chronic disability which:

  • Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment or a combination of mental and physical impairments.
  • Results in at least three developmental delays as measured by qualified professionals.
  • Reflects a need for a combination and sequence of special, interdisciplinary or generic care throughout their lifetime.
How do I move my family member into residential services?

TECH will provide all the necessary information and steps to move a family member into residential services through the support and guidance of the person’s Service Coordinator. The Service Coordinator walks alongside a person served and their family, so the transitions into services can be seamless.

What services are funded by Medicaid?

There are many services covered by Medicaid. The Medicaid services that fund services provided by organizations like TECH are called Home and Community Based Services – Intellectual/Developmental Disability Waiver.

How long can my child with disabilities remain in the school system?

A student with an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) stating so can remain in school until the age of 22.

What is available to my child with disabilities after graduation?

There are many choices available after graduation: employment, community activities, recreation activities, technology activities, living outside the family home, as well as living inside of the family home.

If something were to happen to me, what would happen with my child?

TECH has been serving people with disabilities since 1973. If a parent or family member is no longer a part of the person’s life, TECH will step in, and with other community resources that might be needed, ensure all needs continue to be met.

image description

What People Are Saying

Contact Us About TECH Service Coordination

If you would like more information about the TECH service coordination, please contact us at (620) 663-1596 or complete the secure online form.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.